[kwlug-disc] Linux 'equivalent' to Windows 'start' command.

Chris Irwin chris at chrisirwin.ca
Thu Aug 15 17:29:53 EDT 2013

You're correct. I had assumed that it was replacing them and checking your
mime associations itself. It turns out that it is simply a standard
arbitrator, so you don't need to figure out what desktop environment your
user is using, xdg-open does that work for you.

On Thu, Aug 15, 2013 at 5:12 PM, unsolicited <unsolicited at swiz.ca> wrote:

> From what I saw, xdg-open just calls, for example, gnome-open. So 'going
> away' is a relative thing, for Linux, I suppose.
>

> On 13-08-15 04:57 PM, Chris Irwin wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Aug 15, 2013 at 4:31 PM, Adam Glauser <adamglauser at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>  Another thing 'start' does, IIRC, is to open a file with the associated
>>> program based on the file extension. So 'start workbook.xls' would launch
>>> Excel, opening that file.
>>>
>>> The desktop environments I've used have some sort of file association
>>> list.  I wonder if they also have an "open with the appropriate
>>> application" command?
>>>
>>>  Previously, there were desktop-specific implementations: gnome-open,
>> etc.
>> Luckily, that is going away, and `xdg-open` is now the proper way to do
>> this now. It also works for urls.

Chris Irwin
<chris at chrisirwin.ca>