[kwlug-disc] (Easy) Linux File Sharing?

Bob Jonkman bjonkman at sobac.com
Mon Aug 5 12:42:48 EDT 2013

0) Encrypt all the things
1) rsync
2) ssh authentication keys

I use

  rsync localdir/filename user at remotehost:/dir-hierarchy/filename

or

  rsync user at remotehost:/dir-hierarchy/filename localdir/filename

Yes, it requires you to authenticate, but that's a _feature_, not a _bug_!

rsync uses ssh to connect to remote hosts, so to reduce the
authentication tango I put ssh authentication keys on any computers I
need to connect to (usually for the bjonkman user, but could also be for
the root user).  That's a one-time setup, so that effort fades into
insignificance over time.

--Bob.

SOBAC Microcomputer Services              Phone: +1-519-669-0388
6 James Street, Elmira ON Canada  N3B 1L5  Cell: +1-519-635-9413