[kwlug-disc] Bundling HD's. LVM vs mdadm vs ???

Bob Jonkman bjonkman at sobac.com
Sat Apr 13 02:10:54 EDT 2013

Cedric complained:
> 	- anti-vibration feature (for when you have lots of units together, e.g.: 12 in a box, vibrations from drives can sync up and amplify, which reduces drive lifespan.  For a small number of drives, this is widely agreed to not matter.)

Here's a trick I learned at some trade show: Put half the drives in
upside-down; especially put paired drives in upside down to each other.
Doesn't eliminate vibration completely, but it'll stop that "walking
cabinet" effect[1].

--Bob.

[1]
http://www.csd.uwo.ca/staff/magi/personal/humour/Computer_Folklore/How%20Far%20Can%20Your%20Disk%20Seek%3F.html

SOBAC Microcomputer Services              Phone: +1-519-669-0388
6 James Street, Elmira ON Canada  N3B 1L5  Cell: +1-519-635-9413