[kwlug-disc] Bundling HD's. LVM vs mdadm vs ???

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Fri Apr 12 12:29:45 EDT 2013

On Thu, Apr 11, 2013 at 09:17:18AM -0400, Khalid Baheyeldin wrote:
> Not a direct answer, but related.
>
> Is 3TB enough? Because there are reasonablly priced 3TB disks out there. I
> got two WD Green ones for backups.
>
> The trick is to use parted, with some trick that I forgot now (but easily
> Googleable), because fdisk does see over 2TB.

The magic keyword is "GPT", which is the new partition type that can
see partitions larger than 2TB.

Since this is a data drive using GPT partitions should be fine. I ran
into problems while trying to boot from them (but I do not remember
the context or even the OS involved).

For our purposes at work we use WD Green drives for backups. The
warranty is bad and the drives are slow, but rather than trying to
solve this problem with RAID we solve the problem with redundancy.

- Paul