[kwlug-disc] What's needed for OTA on a TV cart?

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Tue Apr 2 01:20:30 EDT 2013

Ended up purchasing the Zinwell, $70, at
http://www.researchelectronic.com/fta.php?sub=5&a=23

- apparently they have even cheaper ones, and Canada Computer still has
the Homeworx for $40. If I did it again, I'd go as cheap as possible
(now knowing what's what). I went with this one as it has a better
(separate signal strength and quality) meter, and this all being new to
me / the TV not being stationary, separate meters seemed useful.

[We already had 'rabbit ears', much like
http://www.thesource.ca/estore/Product.aspx?language=en-CA&catalog=Online&category=Indoor+Antennas&product=1501857]

The TV being on wheels / a cart, means no internal/external/fixed
antenna is possible - it has to fit and sit on the cart.

Only CKCO comes in - it does see that TVO and CITS are out there, but
can't bring them in.

Apparently with a better / directional internal antenna, Global, TVO and
City should also be possible, and perhaps even CBC and CFTO (Channel 9,
CTV2).

Even if we replaced the TV with a widescreen LCD and built in tuner, an
antenna would still be needed. Even just putting your finger on the
connector is sufficient, but I have yet to find anyone willing to stand
still long enough, without bathroom breaks, to be useful.

(If closed captioning is required - forget it, it's all garbled.)