[kwlug-disc] How to start with Android?

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Tue Sep 25 05:03:51 EDT 2012

As Khalid has noted in the past, kijiji seems to have a bevy of Android
capable phones these days.

I understand, given appropriate hardware, such can be upgraded to ics
(Ice Cream Sandwich) or jb (Jelly Bean). [Googling on that shows
multiple paths: stock Android, Samsung updates, other mods - not sure
where to start here.]

I've also seen references to cyanogenmod. e.g. on kwlug-disc.

Simple googling drowns me in material.

I'm guessing cyanogenmod is what one wants, so go to
http://wiki.cyanogenmod.com/index.php and follow the bouncing ball.

Is this the way to start pulling on this string?

For perspective: I've got a router running openwrt. I went to openwrt,
followed the bouncing ball, and its happy. Haven't done anything with it
since, but have absolute confidence anything I might want to do I'll be
able to figure out. (Given openwrt capability / the boundless web
material around.) Smartphones, like routers, have to just work. I'm a
user of them, not a firmware builder. Scripting, apps, repositories, ok,
but I'm not planning on building the next greatest app nor getting
creative and building my own kernel modules. Happy to install somebody
else's, though.

As jj said to me long ago ... When you pick up the phone, all the
majority of people care is whether you get dial tone.

All I care is whether I get dial tone. Everything else is gravy, and
nothing should get in the way of providing dial tone. (User of phones,
not hacker, but I'm happy to use somebody else's hacks.)

I'm guessing cyanogenmod is what one wants, so go to
http://wiki.cyanogenmod.com/index.php and follow the bouncing ball.

Is this the way to start pulling on this string, somewhere else, ???

[Looking at http://wiki.cyanogenmod.com/wiki/Samsung_Galaxy_S_II:_FAQ,
looks like some things have a 'Tegra 2 SoC',whatever that is, and so
cyanogenmod is off the table for these? Where best to go in the
'alternative'?]