[kwlug-disc] OT: Another voip.ms troubleshooting question

Jason Locklin locklin.jason at gmail.com
Mon Sep 10 11:29:24 EDT 2012

On Sun, 2012-09-09 at 11:22 -0400, unsolicited wrote:
> Nope, that's a completely wrong interpretation of uncompetitive advantage.
>
> Rogers does not offer an equal playing field across the wire, preferring
> it's own private traffic over my wire, and in fact deliberately
> deteriorating internet traffic. No VoIP traffic travelling over its
> internet service has a prayer of competing on an equal traffic bandwidth
> or speed footing with it's own private service.

In what way is Rogers home phone or TV service "prioritized" over VOIP
or netflicks?  Different network, different modem hardware. The fact
that it's the same physical wire makes no difference. That's like saying
that Bell "prioritizes" their CTV content because CTV over-the-air is
delivered at a higher speed than web videos over their 3G network -both
travel over the same medium after all. Data at different frequencies,
however, do not interact.

I'm aware of their practice of traffic shaping of, and otherwise messing
with, p2p data -but that's a much more complex kettle of fish. I'm no
fan of Rogers for various reasons, but your criticism makes a clear
factual error. They should be required to provide neutral passage to all
data on their Internet connection, as well as share their physical
infrastructure with competitor service providers, as it was built on
public land, but these two issues are distinct and should not be
confused.

_
Jason