[kwlug-disc] OT - EyeSurf

Bob Jonkman bjonkman at sobac.com
Wed May 23 23:29:25 EDT 2012

I just found out that Yak has been acquired by Voice Network. It was
formerly owned by Globalive, who also own Wind Mobile.  I don't
understand why a voice communications company (Globalive) would sell one
of their voice service providers to another voice communications company
(VN), a competitor in the same marketplace...  I'm thinking that it's
part of a VOIP shakeout, similar to the ISP shakeout of the early 2000's
which left only Bell and Rogers as mainstream ISPs...

http://www.voicenetwork.ca/residential/index.php

And, jumping threads a little: VOIP.ms routes calls through some nodes
in the USA, making those calls subject to the USA domestic surveillance
program.  Unlimitel routed all its VOIP through only Canadian nodes;
this may have changed after Unlimitel was acquired by Primus.  Something
for the tinfoil-hat crowd to keep in mind when choosing a provider.

--Bob.