[kwlug-disc] OT - EyeSurf

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Wed May 23 19:01:09 EDT 2012

[Yep, long, but, I think, pertinent.]

TekSavvy DSL, or Cable?

Also, you ask if an ATA is needed. As far as I know, an ATA is needed
for any VoIP (or use the computer soft phone client). Otherwise your
phone is either cell, or POTS. I assume from your message that you'd
like to get off of POTS if VoIP service is acceptable.

I'll also assume they currently have POTS and internet. (But are looking
to see if alternatives are viable.)

I have no direct experience, but I have looked around pretty hard, for
exactly the same reasons.

One way or the other you are supporting Bell / Rogers, be it dry loop
fees, or whatever they call the cable equivalent. Horror stories abound
where there is a problem with the underlying Bell / Rogers service, and
the 3rd party is helpless to get it resolved in less than weeks. I've no
doubt that is the exception, but it is out there.

Things seem to go better when you are establishing new (internet)
service than when migrating. e.g. Stories of when prior service cut off
but new service not yet established, and Bell / Rogers don't play nice
to your 3rd party aren't infrequent. This isn't a problem when switching
from DSL to Cable (and probably vice versa), as you can leave the prior
service up until the new is proved. I suspect that it all just goes
right, and you never look back, or things glitch up front and you're in
for a (unpleasant) journey - mostly to do with the line being
disconnected or filtered due to miscommunication that your 3rd party
will be using the line.

I would not go back to DSL. DSL speeds will never match cable - due to
underlying technical limitations. Think VoIP, plus ISP, plus Netflix
(presumably, or at least much more internet TV streaming) some day. I've
been entirely happy with Rogers, except for the cost and, of course,
that they're Rogers. I don't yet VoIP. I almost went with Acanac (~=
Distributel / 3web) [which would mean purchasing a modem (convoluted
story)], particularly because their terms of use is wide open (unlike
TekSavvy's or Distributel's), e.g. servers / e-mail permitted. But
happened to hold off long enough for prices to increase. They are now
within $2 of Rogers, and given the migration stories and need to
purchase a modem, I decided not to switch. If/when I move, though, I
expect I'll migrate to Acanac. I don't expect to ever not have Rogers
cable TV (cheapest package I can get) - so using a cable ISP and losing
Bell entirely seems appropriate.

 From all that I have seen TekSavvy support is well regarded. Not so for
Acanac / Distributel / et al. For you I would have no problem suggesting
Acanac. I would not for your parents - when something has gone strange,
they will need responsive service at the other end when they call for
help (if it's not you). Acanac has a service reputation for exactly the
opposite. If Acanac or TekSavvy cable ISP does not appeal to you, then I
have no problem recommending Roger's internet (even if it leaves a bad
taste in my mouth). It is cost close enough, and avoids the underlying
3rd party can't get Roger's attention, problem. If your parents have
Roger's TV now, but not Roger's internet, it's a reasonable option if
TekSavvy doesn't appeal to you. (Avoiding both dry loop and cable
equivalent fees.)

As far as I know, VoIP.ms uses VoIP.ms lines, and Unlimitel uses
Unlimitel lines. So, your "VoIP.ms <http://voip.ms> for Unlimitel/Sprint
for VoIP phone service" isn't clear to me.

VoIP.ms is free to use and set up, even with an ATA, as long as you are
calling a VoIP endpoint. Thus, you could probably fire them and an ATA
up and investigate whether all is well when they call you, for example.
It may also help you discover whether VoIP is suitable at all (to them).
Crossing that learning curve would let you (i.e. them) then choose
whichever VoIP service appeals to you, with some confidence that you'll
get where you intend. e.g. If you set up your VoIP contact info on their
ATA (speed dial), they could just use a speed dial to call you, rather
than try to enter the goofy 'number' from a telephone keypad. If they
currently have POTS, you can assure yourself of complete confidence in
VoIP before cutting it off. Including forwarding your POTS to the VoIP
for a real trial. As Raul points out, for a $25 investment, you can call
real phone numbers, and if ultimately unhappy, you're only out the $25.

     If your parents typically call only a few people long distance, and
they, like you, have an ATA, you could program in direct dialing on
their ATA for them, and there would be no long distance charges for
those calls at all. There is an argument for having our 3102's even
without a VoIP provider.

     As I said, I have yet to actually make the switch myself. I'm not
advocating VoIP.ms specifically here, but as you no doubt know, Raul
thinks highly of them. As far as I know you've been entirely happy with
your Unlimitel and ATA - certainly my confidence of Unlimitel is based
on your comments (based on John's). Based on Raul's comments and my own
limited user interface playing with VoIP.ms, whereas I would have gone
with Unlimitel at one time, today I would try VoIP.ms. Gary's note on
Callcentric.com I find intriguing, feels more VoIP.ms like than
Unlimitel like, in terms of web page user friendliness. Friendliness
perhaps being an element for your parents.