[kwlug-disc] SSH SOCKS proxy without SSH

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Thu Mar 29 01:40:15 EDT 2012

You are talking about http proxies here. For your message, as given, ssh
is a red herring.

I assume you could find a name (not just ip) aware proxy server, and put
it on your local ipcop / pfsense / openwrt boxes. Then point all local
browsers to it.

This gets dodgy with roaming clients, but then they're probably running
their own OpenVPN client, not passing through your OpenVPN network
endpoints. So you'd need something 'net nanny' like to locally serve the
purpose of the internal local net squid server.

Rather like local SUS (Microsoft update) or web caching servers. (Fetch
your cbc.ca content from it, rather than directly, every time.)