[kwlug-disc] Printer Question.

Fri Jun 22 16:12:40 EDT 2012

On 2012-06-22, at 3:24 PM, R. Brent Clements wrote:
> The print drum.  The page is then rolled across the drum and then thru
> a hot roller.  I assume that the "cloud" of toner persists in the area
> for a bit to have more than one chance to stick, but at the end of the
> print cycle there will definitely be some that needs to be flushed
>
> This is entirely the layman's explanation I received about laser
> printers years ago.  I am certainly no authority

The print drum "rolls over" the toner supply and toner is picked up and sticks where it's been charged. It's actually not a bad system at all, and there isn't gobs of toner wasted.

Regarding drivers: I love turboprint (http://www.turboprint.info/) .. got great drivers for most printers, and works pretty decently with CUPS.

As far as C11 goes… that's a great starting point to show how ridiculous the law is. Individual users won't be hit (often) but the guys who supply the devices to recharge/reset the toner counters will. Welcome to the new Canada.

-A.