[kwlug-disc] OT - EyeSurf

Cedric Puddy cedric at ccjclearline.com
Sat Jun 9 16:55:05 EDT 2012

The Fibernetics POPs are the Bell Central Offices (CO's), so they are on Water Street in Kitchener, and McCormic in Waterloo.

They do not have the ability to do remote boxes (like Bell and Rogers do) so they are inevitably going to be limited to core areas of good service, with a halo of dodgy service, and then big gaps of a whole lot of nothing.

As a result, their model is to use the CO co-located gear where possible, and resell Bell Nexxia and Rogers cable everywhere else, under the same terms that everyone else has to resell those services under.

If they start being able to remote boxes, then things will be able to improve for them, but the difficulty they will always face is being able to finance the very high costs of rolling out such infrastructure.  Eg: they will never be able to win the mass market on entirely their own gear.

-Cedric