[kwlug-disc] Linux floorplans: solved

Daniel Allen danielrobertallen at gmail.com
Mon Jun 4 10:36:59 EDT 2012

On Sun, Jun 3, 2012 at 8:01 PM, unsolicited <unsolicited at swiz.ca> wrote:

> 2. Measure twice, cut once. Please be mindful of the sharp tools.

2a. Do not look into laser beam with remaining eye.

Seems to me I've also come across (image?) software that will figure out
> the dimensions of things in the picture for you. (Hugin comes to mind, but
> I don't think that's it.)
>
> So, scan your webcam around your room, and magic happens?
> (Scan once, no cutting?)

OTish, but MagicPlan is an iPhone-only app that does this less
automatically. You rotate standing in place, locate each corner of the room
in the display, and plunk down a traffic-cone in each of the corners (as
well as identifying doorways) and it will create a room plan. It's pretty
cool. I would be interested hearing about (dev or finished) apps that do
the same, or more automatically.

(*goes back to lurking from his iDevice*)
-Daniel