[kwlug-disc] Android data backups

Chris Irwin chris at chrisirwin.ca
Tue Jul 24 11:09:23 EDT 2012

On Tue, Jul 24, 2012 at 9:50 AM, Colin K <colin at void11.com> wrote:

> - I use FolderSync (needs wifi or some sort of network access) to
>> synchronize a bunch of folders to my server using SSH/SFTP. This is
>> scheduled for 0300 Sunday. I ended up choosing foldersync because it can do
>> two-way sync, which allows me to muck with files on my server, and have
>> that replicated elsewhere (I actually two-way sync from my server to my
>> laptop, so when I import photos locally, it eventually removes them through
>> the chain until they are not on the phone anymore. Eventually).
>

> Thanks I'll check into FolderSync from what you described I'm sold.  It
> would be nice to know if it would sync over wifi only.  If not I could
> simply just setup the ssh/sftp address to only be a lan routable ip 192.168
> or something to avoid syncing over my data plan.  Does it support rsync?

It can sync only over wifi. It can also only sync if charging (rather
important if you need to have a full wakelock to keep wifi active at a
decent speed).

Apparently it does not use rsync to actually move files. I suppose the
reason is because most supported transports (google drive, skydrive, ubuntu
one, samba, dropbox, etc) don't support it.

The only problem I had that rsync would have helped with was "nandroid"
backups made with CWM, as they were usually about 1.2GB and took forever to
transfer over wifi. CWM6 now de-duplicates in chunks, so that should save a
fair amount of time when new backups are created (although enumerating
several thousand chunk files will still take some time).

> I think rooting your device is essential for people who want a truly full
> featured android experience.  Root at your own risk though :P

I would not buy a device without the ability to root it.

--
Chris Irwin
<chris at chrisirwin.ca>