[kwlug-disc] Wanted: help in refining presentation
paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Mon Jul 23 22:01:33 EDT 2012
So I ran into Kiwi this weekend, and we got talking about KWLUG
presentations. He would like to give another presentation soon, but
he is not sure what would be popular/appreciated, and he is too shy(!)
to ask on the list himself.
- Kiwi works for VMware and knows a lot about that product (especially
the storage side), and his tendency is present something in this
- He wants to cater the presentation to the interests of members
- He is aware that marketing heavy (and proprietary-heavy)
presentations tend not to go over well in this group
Here are some (although probably not all) of the ideas we threw
0. His experiences in putting together a lab of two virtual ESX hosts
serving 20 or so thin clients.
1. A "deep dive" discussion of some aspect of virualization and/or
VMware. Kiwi suggested looking through logs to diagnose common
problems as one issue.
2. Implementing a lab in an open-source virtualization product (and
maybe comparing it to VMware).
3. A discussion of cluster filesystems and what they have to offer.
4. His experiences in building a cheap but robust SAN using a chassis,
a bunch of SATA drives, and the Nexenta OpenSolaris distro.
5. A discussion of the free (gratis) VMware products and how far you
can get with them before you need to purchase components of the VMware
I realize that it will be difficult to come to a consensus on which
presentation Kiwi should give in this thread. But hopefully your
responses can help guide him to choosing a topic or two. So what
sounds interesting to you? What related topics would you like to see
 Lest this be interpreted as yet another reason to avoid
associating with me, please be assured that I am not obsessed about
More information about the kwlug-disc