[kwlug-disc] <100$ pfsense box anyone have ideas where i can get something like this?

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Tue Jan 31 16:14:14 EST 2012

On Tue, Jan 31, 2012 at 08:51:13AM -0500, Nickle, Brian wrote:
> I have a net gear wnr3500L running ddwrt and it is pretty awsome.  There is
> a faster successor. Check out myopenrouter.com.  Can't run pfsense but
> tomato ddwrt and openwrt are options.

I was going to say something about this. pfSense is primarily an x86
solution, and many of the low-power boxes are MIPS. I think people are
working on MIPS ports (some people have apparently got it working on
the RouterStation Pro) but this is pretty alpha.

I have mentioned this on the list before, but our solution for a
low-power box was to use an ALIX board:
http://pcengines.ch/alix2d3.htm

That set us back more than $100 all told, though. Crypto support is
good because there is hardware acceleration, but other things you want
(such as intrusion detection) will likely be more than this machine
can handle -- if nothing else, because IDSes like Snort suck up a lot
of RAM.

- Paul

--
http://pnijjar.freeshell.org