[kwlug-disc] RIM VP on apps and open source

Chris Frey cdfrey at foursquare.net
Wed Jan 18 19:29:27 EST 2012

On Wed, Jan 18, 2012 at 06:24:42PM -0500, L.D. Paniak wrote:
> There is no panic on my part.  I have no interest in such a closed
> device.

Ok, maybe not panic, but it was negative.  I was comparing it to some of
the comments I've seen online, where people can't seem to wait a little
while (as in a year or two) for a newcomer to properly compete in the
tablet arena, and it sounded familiar.  The customers seem panicked,
while the onlookers seem like vultures.

If we're talking about open source vs. closed source, then yes, the
PlayBook is of little interest, with a closed OS.  That goes for me too.
I don't own any tablets or smart phones yet.  OpenMoko was as close as
I came to spending money on something.  But in comparison to
the other closed devices in the tablet arena, the PlayBook is a solid
offering, at least in the fundamentals that I've seen, and should not
be dismissed so quickly.

People seem to be unconsciously expecting an HP-style crash and burn
out of RIM, but to their credit, they are not rolling over and dying, no
matter how many people are jumping up and down on the negative bandwagon.

> If I was a Playbook owner waiting for Netflicks to arrive via port from
> Android, I would be a little skeptical.  Android media apps generally
> don't work on rooted Android devices (without even more hacking).

I'd prefer to know the real reason why Netflix hasn't released a player
for the PlayBook yet, but I don't know what goes on in their conference
rooms.  I could guess and speculate, but that wouldn't answer my questions.

After using the PlayBook, and seeing some of the changes RIM has made
recently, in both software and behaviour, there's hope there.  RIM is
waking up, as evidenced by real changes, and I hope that continues.
I suspect Netflix will wake up eventually too.  Maybe someday I'll even
become a Netflix customer.

- Chris