[kwlug-disc] RIM VP on apps and open source

Chris Frey cdfrey at foursquare.net
Wed Jan 18 17:51:35 EST 2012

On Wed, Jan 18, 2012 at 05:31:55PM -0500, L.D. Paniak wrote:
> Don't hold you breath.  There are a number of people "waiting" to build
> clients for Playbook - including some that you would expect to be first
> in line eg VMware (View client).
>
> Clearly, the expectations for Playbook are not hopeful.

This sounds like the usual panicked negativity, but ok. :-)

But if an Android app already exists, and it can very easily be made
to work on the PlayBook 2.0, then it won't matter if people are hopeful
or not.  It'll just happen.

There was a link to the list earlier, which was a bit old, about how
Android apps will be limited on the PlayBook.  But the beta 2.0 seemed
much more flexible from what I've read... even to the point of making
the PlayBook look like an android device if you wanted.

I won't know for sure until I've tried 2.0 on the PlayBook myself...
but the wait is only a few more weeks. :-)

- Chris