[kwlug-disc] RIM VP on apps and open source

John Van Ostrand john at netdirect.ca
Tue Jan 17 10:52:02 EST 2012

I was reading for RIM's benefit not open source's. RIM is important to this community and I think to Canada so I focussed on that.

The positives for RIM are the comments about RIMs financial strength and the word to developers that they will continue to exist; the between the lines message that RIM hired an ex developer for relations; the statement that they are looking at the problems seen in other environments. I hope this insight and the opportunity to re-invent gives them a leapfrog advantage.

Most of the side-steps were reasonable, like not being part of the BBM group. The Netflix probably fell within his purview but I think he made it clear it wasn't an important item for RIM. He side stepped the question about early release, but this is marketing and I think it was wise to avoid that.

The anti-open source message about QNX is disappointing. Is that really FUD about android? I have a tablet and lots of the apps seem to be calling home. I'm tired of apps that ask for a wide range of permissions just to play a game and only work when they have wifi access. I don't like the idea of a walled garden either but I'm not convinced that is the case for the Playbook.