[kwlug-disc] Any experience with vpsville.ca?

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Sun Jan 15 20:40:41 EST 2012

On Sun, Jan 15, 2012 at 4:07 AM, Chris Irwin <chris at chrisirwin.ca> wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 14, 2012 at 10:33:57PM -0500, Andrew Sullivan Cant wrote:
> > So vpsville.ca has a hosting option at $10, they are in Toronto, but
> > their reviews are inconsistent. Some glowing and some damning.

I would recommend Slicehost.com, which I have had 900+ days of uptime.

But they have been purchased by Rackspace, and in the process of transition.

> I ended up with linode. It is in the USA, which is unfortunate. But they
> have a pretty good features, including ssh to serial console, rescue
> environment, etc. They came somewhat recommended from some chats on IRC.

 Linode is got. I have a lot of friends recommending them, and have one
client on them. Only for a few months, and no trouble so far.

I would recommend the latest Ubuntu 10.04 LTS Server. You get current
packages and upgrades are easy via aptitude.

It costs $20 a month for 512MB.

Stay away from any hosting provider that uses Virtuozzo/OpenVZ. Stay
with those who use Xen.

Regards
--
Khalid M. Baheyeldin