[kwlug-disc] Increased list spam? [Was: Re: Meet a girl of ...]

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Sat Jan 7 21:27:25 EST 2012

On Sat, Jan 07, 2012 at 01:33:16PM -0500, unsolicited wrote:
> Don't know about the rest of you, but I've noticed a substantial
> increase in spam since just before Christmas, including to this list.

I have also noticed a big and annoying increase in spam to list
administrators. But as others have noticed, it does not appear to have
hit the lists (yet) because the spammers are not yet subscribing to
the mailing lists before spamming them.

> Can anything be done to stop the forwarding of messages such as these to
> the list?

I am not sure. There is a legitimate reason for arbitrary e-mail
addresses to write to the -owner aliases of Mailman lists -- for
example, if I want to unsubscribe from a list but have used a long
twisty chains of forwards to do so, then I may have to write to the
-owner alias with my current address, not the address I used to
subscribe to the list (if I even know what that might be).

- Paul

--
http://pnijjar.freeshell.org