[kwlug-disc] Scripting in Linux and unit.d

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Sat Jan 7 19:49:24 EST 2012

On Sat, Jan 07, 2012 at 06:48:02PM -0500, Colin K wrote:
> I'm not a programmer but I do understand some fundamentals and looking to
> learn some scripting so that I can automate some tasks. What would be a
> good way to learn this stuff.

I don't know what unit.d is, so I will respond knowing that my answer
could be totally wrong and you could downvote me into oblivion.

Honestly, I got a lot of good information from the *Unix Power Tools*
book by O'Reilly. Some copies were donated to the LUG library many
years ago.

I also remember reading the BASH programming HOWTO, but I don't
remember how influential that was.

Of course, you can find lots of examples of shell programming on your
own Linux installation. Try the following command:

file /usr/bin/* | grep POSIX

- Paul
--
http://pnijjar.freeshell.org