[kwlug-disc] Advice on Buying a Ubuntu-Friendly Computer

Gordon Dey gordon.dey at happydeys.ca
Sun Jan 1 12:25:03 EST 2012

On 11-12-29 09:59 AM, Ryan McGreal wrote:
[edited]
> Now my sad sack of hardware is dying and it's time for a new one. I mainly
> use it for software development, and ideally, I'd like to run dual
> widescreen monitors for maximum screen real estate.

Identifing your purpose (development) is helpful, because it means that
you are willing to allocate more dollars to the compute subsystem.

I suggest multi core, for example: i7 can support "make -j8".
I suggest choosing RAM in matched pairs to take advantage of symmetric
accesses, when building/ripping symbol tables or expression trees. For
example: 2x2GB (4GB) is symmetric vs 1x2GB + 1x4GB (6GB).
I suggest using an SSD for tmp, as that's where intermediate build
products will go.

Graphics? I've done okay with NVidia...
Gord