[kwlug-disc] Suggestions requested for high performance music players supporting large music libraries running on a Ubuntu 10.04 system.

Kyle Spaans 3lucid at gmail.com
Tue Feb 28 13:01:27 EST 2012

Have you considered mpd (Music Player Daemon)? It runs in the
background and can periodically update its library. I've seen it used
in a place with a library of ~40,000 songs without skipping a beat.
You have to use a "client" to make it play music. It's got a variety
of frontends, both command-line and GUI, so you'd have to play around
to see which one gives you the playlist'ing and searching capabilities
that you want. (ncmpc++ I believe is the one that I've used, and it
works well enough for me, but my needs are very simple :P)