[kwlug-disc] Ubuntu printer

Gordon Dey gordon.dey at happydeys.ca
Wed Aug 29 22:00:48 EDT 2012

On 12-08-29 06:11 PM, lloyd carr wrote:

> Say that I want to buy a black and white laser printer at Future Shop
> that plays nice with Ubuntu 12.04 (i.e. no downloading bash scripts to
> install drivers etc., just plug and play), any suggestions?

I've had good success with networked samsung printers, like the ML2xxx
and ML3xxx series. Plug it in, give it say 30 seconds to begin Service
Discovery broadcasts, and then hit "detect new printers".

There *is* a cd with a bash script that will download some tools, stuff
like reading the number of copies and toner level, but you don't really
need it to get started.

Gord.