[kwlug-disc] Hey I have a friend looking to take pictures on his dslr through a computer and show them asap to a client.

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Wed Aug 29 09:01:14 EDT 2012

This is pretty standard stuff, studio photographers do this all the
time. More and more ad agency staff are on site, test shots go to
computer screens, the staff approve the shot, and only then is the real
shot taken.

Transmitted both tethered, and/or via wi-fi. Canon has such software on
their web-site, as far as I know. I can't confirm off the top of my head
as my non-DSLR doesn't have the necessary smarts, but from what I could
see with Canon's DPP, Digital Photo Professional, or sibling software
(ZoomBrowser?) available from the same site, does this, tethered at
least. (Software is free, but appears to be for Mac or Windows only.)

You friend should be able to check this out / quickly test this,
assuming he has a Windows machine available.

http://estore.canon.ca/eStore/product.action?pid=5539&
http://www.henrys.com/59670-CANON-WFT-E4-II-A-WIRELESS-TRANS-5DMKII.aspx
http://www.henrys.com/66971-CANON-WFT-E2-II-A-WIRELESS-TRANSMITTER.aspx
- drivers
http://www.canon.ca/inetCA/suppdrv?m=goModel&type=C&id=45&sid=44. (Not
that you should need a driver for, e.g., wi-fi.)

  - don't forget, on hardware, you can probably rent or lease to assure
yourself it's what you want before making the investment.

Alternately, check out CHDK. Sweet. http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK. It
may be able to unlock the USB feature that's already present in the
camera, although, perhaps, normally locked off from the user, depending
upon the model.

Digikam, http://www.digikam.org/drupal/about/overview, has some smarts
to talk to cameras, although I don't know if it's live. I suppose if you
have it talk to the camera every second it could be considered getting
the images on the fly. I don't know what capabilities gimp has in this
area - http://www.gimp.org/. I suspect if you ask on either's forums,
you should get quickly directed to a definitive answer.

Any decent photo store or studio should also be able to give you some
quick guidance on where to look for a solution. Although I'd be somewhat
surprised if they had any CHDK, digikam, or gimp expertise.

For that matter ask on Adobe Photoshop site. I expect photoshop can do
this - if nothing else you could rent the software for 3 months to check
it out. At the least, you should get some direction about the type(s) of
equipment and/or software involved.