[kwlug-disc] Eyesurf

Pete Dixon dixonpete at gmail.com
Tue Aug 28 12:16:18 EDT 2012

>Who was it mentioned in the list some months back as doing competitive
home phone service, EyeSurf? Can anyone make comments as to how their
service stacks up?

I've had Eyesurf for 20 months now for phone ( it's not VOIP) and Internet.
Aside for maybe a day's down time from one incident the phone service has
been superb.

The Internet service is very good but not perfect. Btw 12-2am I'm seeing
the occasional service disruptions which can be annoying while playing
online chess. On the plus side downloads are truly unlimited. As for speed
I'm currently downloading torrents at 675 kb/sec. I don't have the HD space
to do that all the time but even if I did I don't think Eyesurf would raise
an eyebrow. From Speedtest.net pings are about 70ms, d/l at around 8Mbs.

Contrast that with my experience with Bell when I hit my limit and I'd turn
off images in my browser to save bandwidth the last couple days of the
month..

The cost of phone/Internet is less than 1/2 what I was paying Bell. There's
simply no comparison, it's like night and day.