[kwlug-disc] OT: Another voip.ms troubleshooting question

Jason Locklin locklin.jason at gmail.com
Mon Aug 27 09:49:26 EDT 2012

On Wed, 2012-07-04 at 13:25 -0400, William Park wrote:
> When I switched to VoIP, I put Linksys ATA in between cable modem and
> router, even though the instruction says to put it behind the router.
> Download was slow, and voice link was terrible.  Too many stuttering.
>
> When I put it behind the router (per instruction), download and voice
> link got better.  It's not as good as Rogers Home Phone which I had
> before.  They are both VoIP, but I guess Rogers Home Phone should work
> better on Rogers Cable.

<sorry for the late reply>
I had the same issue with a Linksys SPA-2102. The box works fine shaping
traffic between the modem and router if you have less than a 5mb
Internet connection.More than that and it just cant handle the
bandwidth. It ruins both Internet and phone quality, and should instead
be somewhere behind the router.

Also, while Rogers home phone uses VOIP technology, it's not really
comparable and in no way touches the Internet. It works on a private
local area network with it's own modems on Rogers coax -and is
unrelated, and unconnected to the Rogers Internet service. It's a very
robust service, but should be thought of as "digital phone service over
cable" and not VOIP.