[kwlug-disc] Switch between monitors
chris at chrisirwin.ca
Thu Apr 5 12:11:39 EDT 2012
On Thu, Apr 5, 2012 at 11:19, Chris Irwin <chris at chrisirwin.ca> wrote:
> I was
> half-way considering making a housing to hold 8 HDMI connectors, and
> trying to find a few small ~15cm HDMI cables to manually patch (like
> an old telephone operator), and using my KVM only for USB switching.
Typing this out made me look up if I can source the pieces. There are
probably better sources (monoprice is a pain to import iirc):
* Make a box out of wood, or find an aesthetically-pleasing box elsewhere
* Mount a bunch of 6-port keystone plates  in it in pairs. ex: one
panel for video inputs, one panel for video outputs. Allows 6 in, 6
* Fill two of the plates with 12 HDMI jacks .
* Fill two of the plates with 12 USB3.0 jacks . Could save money
with USB 2.0, but why not plan ahead?
* Fill two of the plates with 12 3.5mm stereo audio jacks. Couldn't
find these on monoprice.
* Maybe throw in some TOSLINK jacks  as well? Although HDMI could
just as well carry the audio.
* Grab six 12-inch HDMI cables  for use as patches.
* Same for 3.5-inch audio cables, TOSLINK cables, and USB cables.
Label inputs with label maker.
<chris at chrisirwin.ca>
More information about the kwlug-disc