[kwlug-disc] Switch between monitors

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Wed Apr 4 16:43:21 EDT 2012

Given the 'simplicity' of your question ...

How about just a video splitter?

- probably only works if you use the same resolution. And not if one is
VGA and the other HDMI. Let alone DVI. If so, you're into video
conversion, and ... ick.

Just lean over and turn off the monitor in front of you when desired -
I'm assuming you'd have to change inputs on the TV to effect, so same
thing, in essence, there.

As best I remember, KVM's are such commodities that you may find such
cheaper than a real video switcher. Get one with a button (not just
keystroke switching), and forget the K and M parts?

However, warning: 2nd monitors are addictive. If you have the ability
for a second monitor, now or in the future, you will likely want both
monitors at the same time. For some amount of time.

Doesn't mean you have to use both monitors all the time. Although it is
disorienting when your mouse pointer disappears, and you can't for the
life of you figure out where it went. (If you really want to confuse
someone with 2 monitors, sneak in and change the order in Xrandr -
reverse which is left of which.)