[kwlug-disc] WIND is in K-W?

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Fri Sep 23 11:58:43 EDT 2011

On Fri, Sep 23, 2011 at 11:54 AM, Adam Glauser <adamglauser at gmail.com>wrote:

> On 9/23/2011 11:33 AM, Khalid Baheyeldin wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Sep 22, 2011 at 5:19 PM, Bob Jonkman <bjonkman at sobac.com
>> <mailto:bjonkman at sobac.com>> wrote:
>>
>>    Buy a handset from WIND, and after three months they'll unlock it
>>    for you so you can take it to a different carrier.
>>

>> I don't think that would work. Or it will only partially work (voice but
>> not data or something), due to the different frequencies.
>>

> From what I can see, quite a few of the WIND handsets are multiband, that
> is they support AWS(1700 MHz) as well as 1900/1800/900/850 MHz.

The rest of the world had 900/1800, then the USA/Canada went for 850/1900,
so quad band handsets emerged. I used phones that I purchased here in Egypt,
and they worked.

Good to see that additional bands are being included, and perhaps become the
norm, so frequency is not an issue.
--
Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.