[kwlug-disc] HELP -- Very new to Ubuntu

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Tue Oct 4 17:18:49 EDT 2011

OK, so there's two issues - sleeping, and monitor changes.

Clearly when undocked, normal is the laptop screen only / you're able
to deal with any monitor combinations you run into, now. (You have any
necessary hotkeys in place, etc., etc.)

What is normal for you when you are docked - 3 screens, 2 monitors +
laptop, or just 2 monitors?

Kiwi Ssennyonjo wrote, On 10/04/2011 5:05 PM:
> Upon reboot; all is well and wonderful.
>
> When I undock, the lid is closed so the laptop immediately suspends.

Why are you closing the lid when you undock?

Or, I'll put this another way, if you undock with the lid open, you
give the machine a chance to reconfigure the hardware. Then close the
lid so it sleeps with the correct monitor configuration. [Reverse when
coming back?]

When you dock (as you were) does restarting X make it all better?
- note, ubuntu (and therefore kubuntu too) have disabled Ctrl-Alt-Bksp
as restart X, by default. You will need to reestablish it before you
can use that keystroke. [Don't know what that is in Ubuntu.] In
kubuntu, once on the right page, the entry is there, just not enabled.
When I was there I just checked the box beside the entry and got on
with it.

>>> twitter:@kiwoneka