[kwlug-disc] Begging for presentation offers

Chris Frey cdfrey at foursquare.net
Wed Nov 16 18:24:12 EST 2011

On Wed, Nov 16, 2011 at 04:03:15PM -0500, unsolicited wrote:
> Sad to see such labelling used.

I think it's good to talk openly about it, even with labels.  Not to
condemn anyone, but to encourage thought on the topic.

I think it comes as a surprise to us (generally) to slowly discover
how little we really need.  It is certainly a pleasant surprise to me,
every time I (re)learn it.

> Raul Suarez wrote, On 11/16/2011 2:44 PM:
> >With data, hoarding may seem innocuous, but If it prevents you from
> >using and/or enjoying your data, then it is a problem.
>
> That's one view.
>
> Another is, keeping everything (electronic) means never have to say
> you're sorry or being disappointed that what you didn't think was
> important to you then, is important to you now, but you don't have it.
>
> Course, there is a data storage and backup cost to this.

This only works for data that is small and easy to compress, like email
without attachments, or source code.  And correspondence and source code
are the only things that are of sufficient value to really spend that much
time on, I think.

Once you get into the image and video areas, though, yeowch... the pain
has increased dramatically.

Other people would have a different outlook on what data is valuable, though.

> And a perpetual piece of mind that if and when you need it, it's
> there, somewhere. And you didn't spend any time you didn't need to to
> organize or label it. Until it became important to you to find it. If
> it ever does.

I think such perpetual peace of mind is an illusion, since carrying all that
weight actually does take a piece of your mind along with it.  We just
get so used to carrying the burden and the worry of losing everything,
that we don't notice the drag it causes.  Until we let it go.

> Hoard away, be at peace, and get on with your day.

The big question is: are you at peace with the thought of suddenly losing
all your data irretrievably?

If you are, then you're certainly not guilty of hoarding.  Maybe something
else, but not hoarding.

But if peace is tied to the stuff you can lose, it is probably fake peace.

- Chris

ObTopic: Maybe someone should do a presentation this. :-)  (Not me!)