[kwlug-disc] Add swap space while a centos server is live.

Steven Stillaway steve at stillaway.net
Wed Nov 2 14:01:32 EDT 2011

With OpenVZ, you are not going to be able to add RAM and I am pretty
sure (99%) you are not going to be able to add SWAP.

In an OpenVZ VPS your kernel is shared, but all of your individual apps
are isolated into it's own space and filesystem.  You can control your
apps, but do make any kind of modifications to the kernel that needs to
be done on the master.  So even if you create a swapfile, it will not be
added into the shared kernel and used at all.

You can check out this:
http://wiki.openvz.org/UBC_systemwide_configuration but it is kind of
complex.

They have assigned 4GB of RAM that is dedicated for our use only.  The
4GB of burstable RAM is shared by all the VPS on the system and
allocated on an as required basis. Which means you can use it, but if
other people want to use it as well, it will get shared back and forth.

Basically if you need lots of RAM (more then 4G in this case) and are
really going to use it a VPS is probably not the way to go.

By all means though.  Turn off everything that you don't need to free up
more of your 4GB for your use.

- Steven