[kwlug-disc] EMP attack from the sun

L.D. Paniak ldpaniak at fourpisolutions.com
Thu May 19 15:34:42 EDT 2011

On Thu, 2011-05-19 at 15:11 -0400, John Van Ostrand wrote:
> [...]

BBQ!

Stay away from long conductive objects (>10s of meters).  Otherwise I
think you are OK. There is little ionizing radiation (on the ground),
just "low" frequency EM fields.  I would expect RAM, hard drives, SSDs,
tape, etc. to be fine.  It certainly makes the case for optical
networking over long distances.

Then wait for the power to come back on.  Too bad we couldn't capture
all that induced current.