[kwlug-disc] Ubuntu 11.04 (aka The Natty Narwhal) and LAMP

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Sat May 7 00:53:50 EDT 2011

John Johnson wrote, On 05/06/2011 10:11 PM:
>> John Johnson wrote, On 05/02/2011 11:10 AM:
> < ... snip ... >
>>> Next steps:
>>> FTP Server (Filezilla?)
>>> FTP Upload of website to Linux box w/Lamp using Filezilla (or other)
>>> Yes, I know I could use a USB drive or CD to do transfer the data but
>>> I want the FTP mechanism in place and tested.
>
> I deferred the FTP thing and use a USB drive to transfer the website
> files from my Win** development PC to the Linux webserver.
>
> Filezilla is Win** only.
> It appears that a popular Linux FTP server is vsftpd.
>
> FTP and more to come.

Not sure you actually want ftp. I am sure you want sftp, which you get
by aptitude install openssh. openssh-server?

You would want ftp if you want people to anonymously download from
your linux site, but I expect you're first talking about just getting
the files from win to lin.

ftp passwords going across the web in cleartext, being a bad thing.

Don't remember how much you've used ssh, but, in essence, think
encrypted telnet and you've essentially got it. Once ssh is loaded,
filezilla will start working. You may have to play a bit with
directories / permissions, but you should be able to filezilla files
to your home directory right off the bat. Then on linux, move them to
where you really want them to be. It's a start.

cygwin, and openssl, are a worthy thing to have up and going on your
windows box.