[kwlug-disc] kwlug-disc Digest, Vol 30, Issue 6

Jason Locklin locklin.jason at gmail.com
Thu May 5 13:50:54 EDT 2011

From: Raul Suarez
> One important consideration is that VoIP only works if there is
> electricity. If a fire starts because an electric fault, you may end
> up without a phone... This is a case where "buyers beware" may be too
> risky.

As I mentioned, I do have a UPS. It's dedicated to the cable modem, voip
ata, wireless router and cordless phone (how many people have only a
cordless phone without battery backup? -POTS doesn't work without power
if your phone base requires power). Last time I checked it runs several
hours before I got bored with the beeping and plugged it back in.

Beyond recommending a good UPS, these types of comments are just FUD.
Believing POTS is 100% reliable is worse than being worried about your
99% reliable voip phone. POTS can go down, and it can go down at the
worst of times (natural disasters or after large events that overwhelm
the system).  We, like most people, have a home phone, at least one cell
phone and many neighbours who have phones on various services including
POTS. Heck, I even have a ham radio if all else fails. Redundancy is
much better than fretting over a 9 or two of uptime. Just think, 10
years ago the average house had only one line of communication out, and
a twisted pair is easily damaged.
__
Jason Locklin