[kwlug-disc] Ubuntu 11.04 (aka The Natty Narwhal) and LAMP

John Johnson jvj at golden.net
Sun May 1 09:54:04 EDT 2011

Linux newbie here. With a new (ram starved) box w/Ubuntu 11.04 (aka The
Natty Narwhal).

I was in the "Now what?" moment.
Then a light went on. Actually a LAMP.

But I ran into a bit of trouble setting up LAMP on Ubuntu 11.04.

Thinking that 10.4 was relatively close enough to 11.04 I followed the
tutorial at:

Everything was going fine, stepping through the tut.
But I ran into trouble at the last section, the part where phpmyadmin is
installed and tested.
It appears that phpmyadmin went into /usr/share instead of /var/www as
expected in the tutorial.
And testing with a browser mapped to http://localhost/phpmyadmin/ failed.

Do I need to uninstall and reinstall phpmyadmin? how?

The Google brings up some repair suggestions like editing files such as
php.ini etc.
This seems overkill and more geared towards those who need to support
apps using earlier versions of PHP.
I am happy with PHP Version 5.3.5-1ubuntu7.1. I do not need PHP 5.2 or
even PHP 5.3 (w/o the Ubuntu suffix).

I tried copying /usr/share/phpmyadmin/ to /var/www/phpmyadmin/ but this
was denied.
I used sudo cp ... as well as the GUI (which does take some getting used
The copy operation was denied in both.

Now exploring: http://tuxtweaks.com/2009/07/how-to-configure-apache-linux/

Looking forward to your responses.

No virus found in this message.