[kwlug-disc] Parliament adjourned ... bills dead (again!)?

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Tue Mar 29 18:17:41 EDT 2011

Chris Frey wrote, On 03/29/2011 1:45 PM:
> On Tue, Mar 29, 2011 at 03:38:30AM -0400, Paul Nijjar wrote:
>> There is also an aspect of elections which remind me of job
>> interviews, which are also manipulative (and yet which we seem to
>> accept as necessary in life).
>
> If you found out that a job applicant tried to trick you into hiring
> him, would you still hire him?

By definition, all job applicant's are trying to trick you into hiring
them.

Note I said trick - not talking about fraud / fake degrees, etc.

You have to express X years of experience in Y minutes - you have to
summarize, and you're going to put the best possible light on it.

Mr. Employer - I'm a wonderfully, great, guy, really I am. And I'm
much better than that other guy.

If we have to get into defining 'trick' here, is it any wonder there
is a problem with defining 'right' among the various copyright
stakeholders?

>>> I think we should rise above that.
>> Sure. Then we'll lose again. I have plenty of experience with losing
>> political battles because I took the high ground.
>
> We haven't lost yet. :-)  It's true that that is due to forces out of
> our control, but that's not a reason to give up.

Fair enough, but as Paul has pointed out in the past: all parties seem
unanimous in their opposition to common points of issues people have
with all the various forms the bill has gone through. (Despite logic,
the DMCA advocates seem to be able to get the wording they want.) And
given the number of times the bill has been introduced, it is only
reasonable to assume it is only a matter of time before we actually
have lost. Granted, I'm (tritely?) summarizing here. I agree, the
objections need to keep being raised, but let's not raise false hope
either.

> Maybe we should have a "fake debate" right here on the list, and try
> to find an optimum questioning strategy.

[Really good idea, this.]

> I'll start (and I might lose!) :-)
>
> 	"Mr. Candidate, which is more important in your view: the rights
> 	of the artist, the rights of the recording corporation, or the
> 	rights of the consumer?  Or do you view them as all equal?"

OK, nasty question. Legitimate, but nasty. And what I mean by nasty
is: There is no reasonable answer here, that can be explained in a
sound bite, and that causes the constituent sitting next to us to come
to understand why the question, and the issues, are important. In the
time that Mr. Candidate will allot for the answer.

So let me ask you this: What is the right answer (speaking from a FOSS
perspective)? [There is no wrong answer for you, in choosing whose
ever rights you think are most important - I expect it depends upon
whichever you personally feel closer to. You will lose no points. You
will lose points if you say they are all equally important.]