[kwlug-disc] Parliament adjourned ... bills dead (again!)?

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Fri Mar 25 16:18:11 EDT 2011

John Kerr wrote, On 03/25/2011 3:46 PM:
> Ok this gives us another chance to make our views known.
>
> Obviously, it is not a high priority. Be sure to button hole
> candidates and let them know about FLOSS and how it can save our
> governments big bucks.

REALLY good point John.

I have two issues:

(1) I really have no idea what to say. Can someone like Paul put
together a blurb for the list? I think such has been done in the past.
Or, on issues like this, site links have been posted - could that
continue please? e.g. copyright is bigger than us, and links were
posted towards addresses on this intricate topic.

(2) Stomping up to a candidate and saying "What's your opinion on
FOSS?" is just going to get a blank stare. How to put the necessary
background material in place for them to have read before they have to
answer the question in a public forum?

Will there not be all candidates meetings? Do efforts have to start
now to get these issues on the agenda for those?

As for a Canadian distribution of Kubuntu ... would that not be an
excellent vehicle for effecting the desired presence of mind?
(Doubtful to be in place for this election, but what about next?)

e.g. It's completely ludicrous that one has to buy proprietary
software to submit one's taxes electronically. Let alone make use of
government documents, spreadsheets, presentations. Not to mention .pdf
and Adobe.