[kwlug-disc] netalyzr/ispgeeks interpreting [was: Re: Reliable Broadband speed test]

Kyle Spaans 3lucid at gmail.com
Tue Mar 8 10:12:32 EST 2011

On Tue, Mar 8, 2011 at 8:51 AM, Joe Wennechuk
<youcanreachmehere at hotmail.com> wrote:
> I recently experimented with Tor in China. My friend over there could not
> get to a download of it from his location (Guangzhou). I had to send it to
> him. When he tried to use it. He was unable to connect to the Tor Network?
> Not sure why?

Because currently (or at least when you tried it), the list of Tor
entry nodes was publicly available. So all that the government had to
do was block them. (I had thought it was just exit nodes, since those
are a smaller set that are publicly listed. But if your friend
couldn't even connect, they must have somehow been blocking access to
the network itself.) One solution to this is Tor Bridge Nodes. You
should run a bridge node and allow your friend to connect to it. :)