[kwlug-disc] netalyzr/ispgeeks interpreting [was: Re: Reliable Broadband speed test]

Cedric Puddy cedric at thinkers.org
Mon Mar 7 11:59:17 EST 2011

I can't recall what tuning opportunities exist for PIX 501's (presumably running 6.3(5) or so, if I remember the "latest" version number right).

As an aside, we are selling 10 user ASA-5505 boxes for less than $600 these days (and there is always eBay!), and they are a drop in replacement for PIX boxes (same config language -- you just load your old config on the new box via tftp, it converts it to the new format.  You do a bit of tidy up, and you're back in the game.).

I just double-checked icsi Netalyzer via my ASA-5505 at the office, and it's passing all the buffer warnings without any special tuning.  (There are also some little niggles, such as the out-of-the-box overly restrictive ICMP settings that it's reminding me to fix too :)

As has been remarked before, Tomato can be really cheap n' *very* easy when it comes to QoS, generally runs well.

Alternatively, a pfsense/IPCop/etc can make really full featured replacements.  I keep meaning to download and explore Vyatta as a possible software firewall, since they make so much noise about being a commercial grade alternative to Cisco and friends, and do have a freely downloadable Core edition.

(Oh, and I'd just like to say it would really make me happy if a industry consortium would make OpenVPN an across-the-board standard -- I'm really not happy about this proprietary-one-manufacturer-at-a-time thing that's going on with SSL VPN offerings these days.)

-Cedric