[kwlug-disc] Reliable Broadband speed test

William Rieck william.rieck at gmail.com
Fri Mar 4 12:55:07 EST 2011

On Fri, Mar 4, 2011 at 6:06 AM, unsolicited <unsolicited at swiz.ca> wrote:

> Khalid Baheyeldin wrote, On 03/04/2011 12:04 AM:
>
>  Try speedtest.net
>>
>> They have servers around the world so you can test to these.
>>

> To what end, vs Roger's own site?

Gathering enough evidence to prove to myself that my connection really is
not functioning properly would be my reason to use many different bandwidth
speedtest results. I am still with Rogers but always very close to switching
to one of the Fibernetics providers (since I am a short distance to the Kit
Bell CO)

Nobody mentioned Rogers SpeedBoost which is cranking up the speed of the
first 10MB of a download http://www.rogers.com/web/content/speedboostonsb so
now most speedtests give me a result between 20 and 30Mbps on a 10Mbps plan.

Speedboost makes it harder to obtain accurate bandwidth results since most
speed tests are of short duration. Rogers results will be inflated and don't
represent sustained transfer rates. Even the Rogers speedcheck gives me the
inflated 20Mbps download result.

Bill