[kwlug-disc] VPS hosting providers

Insurance Squared Inc. gcooke at insurancesquared.com
Tue Mar 1 14:05:29 EST 2011

Dreamhost I think is US based and I've not found them suitable for
important stuff.  They are frequently (like all the time) dead slow and
unresponsive.  I think I paid $6 for my first year with them, unlimited
hosting, so not surprising.  I use them, but only for my junk sites, or
sites that are basically parked.

There was a conversation on the list last year about this, with a number
of names mentioned.  Bluefur I think was one.  You may want to check the
archives for this list.

I personally use prioritycolo out of toronto and can vouch for them.
One young guy  but who's crazy knowledgeable.  Probably not 24/7 support
live, but their support is strong. I've got my colo with them which is
the majority of my business, and they're pretty much always up and
fast.  His infrastructure is overkill, and they're at 151 front street,
which is one of the main centers of the internet in Canada.

You may also consider ccjclearline.com.  That's Cedric, who's a member
on this list.  His hosting is local (waterloo) and inexpensive.  Support
is knowledgeable.  I'm not familiar enough with his services to suggest
whether he's got plans that'll suit you or not, but I've got a project
I'm hosting with him right now and I'm pleased to date.