[kwlug-disc] VPS hosting providers

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Tue Mar 1 13:02:41 EST 2011

On Tue, Mar 1, 2011 at 12:36 PM, Jon L <jdtech at rogers.com> wrote:

> Hi All
> We are currently looking to switch providers of our hosting.  Does anyone
> have some recommendation of providers they are currently using that have
> good Virtual Private Servers and bang for the buck.
> Preferably a Canadian hosting company.  Not mandatory but would like to
> support the local economy, Canadian companies.
> Our needs are strictly for FTP usage at this point.
> Requirements in order of importance
> - Reliable
> - Cost Effective
> - 24/7 - Support  Responsive/knowledgeable
> - Minimum 20GB of space
> - Minimum 500GB/mth

Linode seems to be great, for a very affordable price.
I am on Slicehost and considering moving to Linode soon.

Regarding FTP, please do not use it for uploading stuff. Anonymous
FTP for downloading is fine, but uploading using a user and password
is insecure and is often an attack vector.

Install ssh, and you get sftp which is secure.