[kwlug-disc] Pizza shop software

William Park opengeometry at yahoo.ca
Tue Mar 1 11:56:39 EST 2011

Hmm... being in the retail/pos, I disagree. :-)   Lack of available "tools" (and
hence opportunity) does interest me a lot, in fact.  It's just that POS is very
customized (both per industry and per merchant), and that leads to proprietary
solutions.  Also, POS is very conservative and very difficult to break into.  No
merchant is going to throw away a working POS for a new one, or switch vendor
they already have relationship with.

If you're talking about standalone POS, then you might as well go with cash
registers from Staples, Grand & Toy, etc.  If you're talking about integrated
POS/backed, then you need talk to 2 vendors or buy integrated solution from one
vendor.

You just can't ask this kind of questions and expect an answer, because there is
no right/wrong answer and there is no one answer.

     "taking order" -- online, telephone, fax?  how do you pay?
    "running website" -- you know the issues involved, ie. "my website is not
your website."  I'm not talking about fonts.
    "managing inventory" -- which database, what structure?  who's going to
maintain, update this?

My advice is and has always been... computer can automate what you already do
(and that may solve some efficiency problem), but it cannot run your business
which you don't know how to run in the first place.
--
William