[kwlug-disc] Local ISP No Limits and No Usage Charges (Oksana Goertzen)

Steven Blatchford sblatchford at gmail.com
Fri Jun 10 08:57:32 EDT 2011

On 04:51 Fri 10 Jun, John Johnson wrote:
>On 2011-06-09 23:46, Darcy Casselman wrote:
>>Eyesurf is DSL.  But it's DSL that isn't buying wholesale from Bell.
>>So that's nice
>I am likely going over old ground here so please allow me to do so.
>(AFIK) In areas served by Bell, Bell owns the local loop, i.e. the
>copper from the CO to the demarcation point at the household or place
>of business. Premises wiring after the demarcation point is owned by
>the owners of the property. But I digress. To carry the POTS (non
>VoIP) service the local loop must, of course, be connected at the
>Bell CO to the Bell telco switches. (Not all local loops are
>connected to the telco's telephone switches. A local loop not
>connected to the telco switches is a dry loop.)
>It is where DSL is concerned that my understanding is a bit fuzzy.
>(AFIK) If a local loop (wet or dry) is to carry DSL it must be
>connected through a DSLAM to a backbone digital trunk and the network
>at large. Bell DSLAMs provide their DSL service, either retail or
>wholesale. I have read here that other companies' DSLAMs can be
>co-located at the CO and the local loops can be connected to these
>third-party DSLAMs and as a result will carry DSL services not
>provided, either directly or through resale, by Bell.
>In areas not served by Bell, substitute the name of the local telco
>service provider for 'Bell' in the text above. For example, in the
>Goderich and surrounding area, Hurontel is the (a?) local supplier of
>telephone and related services. Hurontel is but one of the many
>'independents' in Ontario.

Yes this is how it works.  Independent phone companies are called ILECs.
Companies who are allowed to co-locate equipment in the COs are called


More information about the kwlug-disc mailing list