[kwlug-disc] kwlug-disc Digest, Vol 31, Issue 39

Marcel Gagne marcel at marcelgagne.com
Thu Jun 30 12:13:04 EDT 2011

Hello Chris,

This happens on a lot of routers to a lot of servers. If you haven't already done so (can't see it in the threads), open up your ssh_config file (in /etc/ssh) and add the following line.

ServerAliveInterval 120

Or 60 or something like that. Similarly, on the server side, you can edit the sshd_config file and add the following.

ClientAliveInterval 120

The idea here is that the client, or server, will send a message over the SSH connection every 120 seconds (or 60 seconds or whatever) thereby making sure the connection doesn't time out. For the server side, you obviously need to restart sshd for the changes to take effect.

Take care out there.

--
Marcel Gagné
Salmar Consulting Inc. : 519-772-7742