[kwlug-disc] Don Marti on copyright and pro-trust laws

Chris Frey cdfrey at foursquare.net
Sat Jun 25 03:11:33 EDT 2011

On Sat, Jun 25, 2011 at 01:12:47AM -0400, unsolicited wrote:
> Seems to me I heard of a Canadian jury member, some long time ago,
> being (successfully?) charged with obstruction of justice for failing
> to adhere to precedence in their vote.

That doesn't sound familiar to me, but I'd be interested in any links.

I do seem to recall a story about some controversy over the *judge's*
instructions to the jurors.  I'm not sure if this is the story though:

	http://www.nationalpost.com/news/Judge+error+brought+call+mistrial/156942/story.html

And it looks like jurors can point fingers at other jurors, and end up
getting them kicked off the jury:

	http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/story/2011/05/12/quebec-turcotte-trial-describes-stabbing-children.html

But I doubt that a juror has to reveal why they voted the way they did,
and even if they do reveal it, the earlier Wikipedia article points out
that even English law recognized that a juror could not be punished for
the verdict he gave.

	http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jury_nullification#England

In which case, jury nullification (or the first steps toward it) can happen
somewhat in the privacy of one's own conscience, as it should be.

- Chris