[kwlug-disc] Don Marti on copyright and pro-trust laws

Chris Frey cdfrey at foursquare.net
Sat Jun 25 03:11:33 EDT 2011

On Sat, Jun 25, 2011 at 01:12:47AM -0400, unsolicited wrote:
> Seems to me I heard of a Canadian jury member, some long time ago,
> being (successfully?) charged with obstruction of justice for failing
> to adhere to precedence in their vote.

That doesn't sound familiar to me, but I'd be interested in any links.

I do seem to recall a story about some controversy over the *judge's*
instructions to the jurors.  I'm not sure if this is the story though:

And it looks like jurors can point fingers at other jurors, and end up
getting them kicked off the jury:

But I doubt that a juror has to reveal why they voted the way they did,
and even if they do reveal it, the earlier Wikipedia article points out
that even English law recognized that a juror could not be punished for
the verdict he gave.

In which case, jury nullification (or the first steps toward it) can happen
somewhat in the privacy of one's own conscience, as it should be.

- Chris