[kwlug-disc] Just Asking

Kiwi Ssennyonjo kiwi at ssenn.com
Fri Jun 24 10:27:38 EDT 2011

There will not be much duking.
Apple's strength is that they have a way of steering their customers over
time to their technologies.

The CLOSED, walled Garden that is APPLE, offers clear continuity with all
their products.
How many of you on this list have iPhone, or iPads?
They technology just works and it(APPLE) they thought of you and how you
will use that technology.
I have several Droid based phones and they have amazing features, but they
are extremely fragmented; with applications, updates etc.

My hope is RIM does recover. I really think they need new leadership.

In the past 3 years, I have assisted clients move away from the Blackberry.
Gone are the days when the employer is handing phones out and paying for
them.
The employees choose other devices that meet their personal and business
needs that BB do not, well not very well.
With companies like http://www.zenprise.com/ who offer an alternative to the
BES enterprises are also embracing the other smart phones that are not BB.

On Fri, Jun 24, 2011 at 10:07, Bob Jonkman <bjonkman at sobac.com> wrote:

> You just did that, so you must be that market guru!
>
> But I disagree - There is still plenty of market to sell to. The two
> players that are in hot water have closed and proprietary systems, which
> were marginal consumer marketshare to begin with. Nokia would have been OK
> if they hadn't moved to a Windows based phone OS.  The remaining players are
> those with  (mostly) open Android Linux phones, and Apple.  I think there
> will be further market shakeup, leaving only Android and Apple to duke it
> out.
>
> --Bob.
>
> Bob Jonkman<bjonkman at sobac.com>           http://sobac.com/sobac/
> SOBAC Microcomputer Services              Voice: +1-519-669-0388
> 6 James Street, Elmira ON  Canada  N3B 1L5  Cel: +1-519-635-9413
> Software   ---   Office&   Business Automation   ---   Consulting
>

> On 11-06-24 08:23 AM, John Kerr wrote:
>
>> Hi Gang
>>
>> with Nokia in trouble, and RIM in the same hot water, I am waiting for
>> some market guru to announce that the entire industry is saturated.
>>
>> John Kerr

>> Fewer things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good
>> example. - Mark Twain

Kiwi Ssennyonjo
http://www.ssenn.com
m:519-744-3200